Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Life, Love, Death, and Walking


The Road by Cormac McCarthy.



I could wax poetic about McCarthy's The Road. I could go on about the road being a metaphor for the personal journey and changes that The Boy goes through in the tale. I could talk about McCarthy's writing style and how his staccato rhythm adds to the feeling of walking along with The Man and The Boy as they traverse the desolate, post-apocalyptic landscape. I could say all these things (and I did) but someone has undoubtedly done it, and probably better than I.

What I will say about The Road is that it is one of the most beautiful stories I have ever read. At its heart, this is a tale of growing up. This is a tale about the relationship between a man and his son. This is a tale about love and perseverance. The Man and The Boy walk along the road avoiding other travelers and searching for food. They hope to reach a place where others are living peacefully and they can finally rest.

It is really a simple plot line driven by small, delicate moments. When The Man gives The Boy a coke he finds, the excitement for both The Man and The Boy is palpable. It is such a simple action; the drinking of a coke, but beautiful in the exquisite heartbreak and joy that fills the blank spaces of the scene.

The most artistic moment of the book is so well crafted, it is almost impossible to notice. McCarthy very slowly, very subtly shifts the roles of The Man and The Boy. By the end of the novel it is The Boy who cares for and protects The Man.

I love books. It is not often that I am moved so deeply by such a gentle touch as I am by The Road.

You Should Read This.

No comments:

Post a Comment